martes, 19 de septiembre de 2023

Meeting at the station

Complete the fragment of 'Meeting at the station' (part 2) with the correct option of past tenses in italics.


As I ran down the road (2.1) noticed / was noticing that it (2.2) snowed / was snowing, and when I go to the station I (2.3) kept / was keeping on running until I reached the platform where I hoped to catch the train Sophie was leaving on. But it (2.4) already went / had already gone.


Furious with myself for missing her, I was about to leave the station when suddenly there was an announcement saying that so much snow (2.5) fell / had fallen this side of Upton Junction, the next station, that the line was blocked in both directions. Which meant that Sophie's train (2.6) didn't go / wasn't going anywhere, at least for a while.


I remembered there (2.7) used to be / was being a bus to Upton, but when I asked about it at the information office they told me it no longer went there. It (2.8) was seeming / seemed there was no way I could catch up with Sophie, and I left the station. But right outside I spotted a row of bicycles for hire.


Fortunately I (2.9) 'd been / 'd been going to a cashpoint earlier and I had plenty of money on me, so I chose a bike and a few seconds later I (2.10) would pedal / was pedalling as fast as I could in the direction of Upton.


MAY, Pete (2014) Compact First Workbook. 2nd edition. Page 8. Cambridge University Press: Italy.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Ice-cream farm

Part 1.- For questions 1-8, read the text below and decide which answer (A, B, C, or D) best fits each gap. There is an example at the begin...