jueves, 17 de septiembre de 2026

My First Weeks in a Restaurant

Part 1: Multiple-choice cloze

For questions 1–8, read the text below and decide which answer (A, B, C or D) best fits each gap. There is an example at the beginning (0).

My First Weeks in a Restaurant

I first (0) _____ interested in restaurant work when I moved away from home. I usually (1) _____ at a small vegetarian restaurant near my university. At the moment, however, I (2) _____ extra shifts because two members of staff are on holiday.

I still remember my first evening there. While I (3) _____ vegetables in the kitchen, the head chef suddenly asked me to prepare a complete dish. I was terrified because I (4) _____ anything for paying customers before. In fact, I (5) _____ how to make the sauce for only a few days.

Fortunately, the chef was patient. He showed me how to choose ripe tomatoes, slice them carefully and combine them with fresh ingredients. When I was younger, I (6) _____ avoid cooking whenever possible, but university life changed that. My flatmates and I (7) _____ take turns preparing dinner, and we became quite adventurous.

Now, as soon as my shift (8) _____, I normally sit down with the other employees and enjoy a delicious meal.

Example:

0.  A became                B was becoming

    C had become           D becomes


Questions:

1. A work            B am working    

    C worked        D was working


2. A do    B did    C am doing    D had done


3. A chopped            B was chopping

C had chopped        D had been chopping


4. A never prepared            B was never preparing

    C had never prepared    D never used to prepare


5. A practised            B was practising

    C had practised    D had been practising


6. A would        B was        C had        D have


7. A would        B had        C were        D have


8. A will finish        B finished    

    C finishes            D is finishing


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario