jueves, 17 de septiembre de 2026

My First Weeks in a Restaurant

Part 1: Multiple-choice cloze

For questions 1–8, read the text below and decide which answer (A, B, C or D) best fits each gap. There is an example at the beginning (0).

My First Weeks in a Restaurant

I first (0) _____ interested in restaurant work when I moved away from home. I usually (1) _____ at a small vegetarian restaurant near my university. At the moment, however, I (2) _____ extra shifts because two members of staff are on holiday.

I still remember my first evening there. While I (3) _____ vegetables in the kitchen, the head chef suddenly asked me to prepare a complete dish. I was terrified because I (4) _____ anything for paying customers before. In fact, I (5) _____ how to make the sauce for only a few days.

Fortunately, the chef was patient. He showed me how to choose ripe tomatoes, slice them carefully and combine them with fresh ingredients. When I was younger, I (6) _____ avoid cooking whenever possible, but university life changed that. My flatmates and I (7) _____ take turns preparing dinner, and we became quite adventurous.

Now, as soon as my shift (8) _____, I normally sit down with the other employees and enjoy a delicious meal.

Example

  1. A became
    B was becoming
    C had become
    D becomes

Questions

  1. A work
    B am working
    C worked
    D was working
  2. A do
    B did
    C am doing
    D had done
  3. A chopped
    B was chopping
    C had chopped
    D had been chopping
  4. A never prepared
    B was never preparing
    C had never prepared
    D never used to prepare
  5. A practised
    B was practising
    C had practised
    D had been practising
  6. A would
    B was
    C had
    D have
  7. A would
    B had
    C were
    D have
  8. A will finish
    B finished
    C finishes
    D is finishing


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

The University Supper Club

  Part 6: Gapped text Six sentences have been removed from the text. Choose from sentences A–G the one which fits each gap (37–42) . There ...