Read the text and choose the answer (A, B, C or D) which you think fits best according to the text.
More than a Part-time Job
When I began my second year at university, I needed to find a part-time job. My parents could help with the rent, but I wanted to pay for food and entertainment myself. I had previously worked in a shop, so I assumed that finding another retail position would be the most practical choice. Then I saw an advertisement for weekend staff at The Green Table, a popular vegetarian restaurant near the university.
At first sight, the job did not seem suitable for me. Although I enjoyed eating out, I knew very little about catering. My cooking experience consisted mainly of heating up soup or chopping vegetables for simple pasta dishes. Nevertheless, the working hours were convenient, so I applied. I expected the interview to be frightening, but the manager, Nina, immediately put me at ease. Instead of asking formal questions, she invited me to have lunch and describe the service from a customer’s point of view.
Nina later explained that she had been looking for someone who was observant and thoughtful rather than someone with restaurant experience. She believed that practical skills could be taught, but that genuine interest in customers was harder to develop. I was offered the position and began working the following Saturday.
The first few shifts were exhausting. The restaurant used fresh, seasonal ingredients, and the menu changed regularly according to what was available. Before each service, we had to learn about every dish so that we could explain it to customers. I needed to know which meals were suitable for people with allergies, which dishes were vegetarian and how the kitchen prepared each ingredient. I found this challenging, particularly when the restaurant was full and several impatient customers wanted my attention at the same time.
My greatest difficulty, however, was learning to organise my movements. At first, I would walk to the kitchen each time a customer requested something. Nina showed me how to combine tasks: I could collect two finished dishes, take an order from another table and bring back some empty glasses on a single trip. This simple technique saved time and made the work less stressful. Within a few weeks, I was moving around the restaurant much more confidently.
Working there also changed my eating habits. Before starting the job, I had frequently lived on junk food and sometimes skipped meals when I was busy. At the restaurant, the chefs taught me that preparing nutritious food did not have to be expensive or time-consuming. They showed me how to recognise ripe fruit, choose vegetables that were in season and use ingredients before they went off. When the kitchen had unused vegetables at the end of the evening, the staff were allowed to take them home. Consequently, I began cooking balanced meals for my flatmates.
Not everything about the job was enjoyable. Some customers treated the staff as though we were invisible, and others complained about matters we could not control. One evening, a customer said his vegetables were too tough and blamed me personally. I was initially upset, but Nina calmly explained that criticism was usually directed at the situation, not at the individual employee. Her advice helped me become more reasonable and less sensitive when dealing with complaints.
By the end of the academic year, I had gained far more than extra money. I had become more decisive, organised and confident when speaking to strangers. I had also discovered an interest in the relationship between food and health. I do not intend to become a professional chef, but I am now considering a career in restaurant management. A job that seemed unsuitable at first sight may, in fact, have helped me decide what I want to do in the future.
Questions:
31. Why did the writer apply for the position at The Green Table?
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario